Sunday, May 20, 2012

Stracciatella - Italian Egg Drop Soup with Ditalini and Sun-Dried Tomatoes

Straciatella

When I'm in the mood for egg drop soup, I usually call in a quick order to the local Chinese restaurant.  When I'm in the mood for another sort of egg drop soup, my kitchen calls me in for a quick order of stracciatella, the Romanesque Italian broth suspended with richly textured spinach and streaks of egg.

The simplest of this home-style recipe beats greens and eggs into hot broth with a smattering of semolina and Parmesan stirred in to finish.  I've elaborated on the basics for a soup that sticks like stew with extras such as sun-dried tomatoes and ditalini, a small but shapely pasta.  The stock, infused with porcini mushrooms, olive oil, garlic, and herbs gives it a satisfyingly complex flavor that makes even a modest bowlful feel like a meal.  And it can be ready in just about the same time as waiting for the guy with the bicycle to come to deliver your pint of the usual.  
Stracciatella - Italian Egg Drop Soup (My own recipe)

Serves 4 generously.

Ingredients


6 cups water
4 dried porcini mushrooms
1 tablespoon salt
2 cups chopped fresh or frozen spinach (if using frozen, squeeze out water after it thaws)
2 large eggs, beaten well
2 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 tablespoon dried basil
2 cups al dente cooked ditalini (or other small pasta)
1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
4 large sun-dried tomatoes (either plain or oil packed)

Method

Bring water to boil in large saucepan.  Add porcini mushrooms and salt. Remove from heat.  Let mushrooms color and flavor water to a broth (about 15 minutes).  Remove mushrooms and discard (they will be tough, despite soaking). Stir spinach into broth. Reheat broth to barely a simmer over low heat.  Quickly whisk in beaten eggs. Remove from heat.

In a small skillet, fry garlic in olive oil over low heat until golden.  Stir in dried oregano and basil to coat with oil.  Stir garlic-herb paste into soup.  Stir in cooked ditalini.

Ladle soup into individual bowls.  Divide and scatter dried red pepper flakes and Parmesan onto each serving.  Garnish with a sun-dried tomato.  Serve immediately. Leftover soup should be gently reheated to prevent eggs from turning tough and green. ~

Straciatella

This recipe is for Lisa of Lisa's Vegetarian Kitchen, hosting No Croutons Required, the monthly soup and salad event, which she created with Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes. May's theme is Eggs.

8 comments:

anusha praveen said...

susan the pasta s so cute.. and what a lovely bowl... healthy soup.. or shall i say hearty?

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That looks delicious and very healthy! My kind of soup.

Cheers,

Rosa

Rhonda said...

Ditalini is my favorite soup pasta, it's little shape means you can get a mouth full and the tubes catch all sort of soup goodies. There's nothing that I don't like about this soup. I'm pinning it to make later.

Simona said...

Comforting: just what one needs sometimes.

Paz said...

Now, I'm hungry. :)

Cindystar said...

It was a popular and quick supper when my kids were younger, but no spinach for them :-)
And I used to eat it with them too, remembering when I was a child as well :-)

Anonymous said...

Hello, I love reading your blog. You do fantastic work. For the past year I have been food writing. One of the main niches is restaurant reviews.

Check it out: www.hometownslop.blogspot.com.

I look forward to trying your recipes.

Foodie Jeff

Swathi said...

YUMMO!!!! I hardly encounter these kinds of simple and fresh recipes.. Well done and thanks for posting..